Law & Order news
IT & OK
Tulsa Co I.T. (OK)
Broken Arrow Ledger
Muskogee Co I.T.
Ft. Gibson Post
McIntosh Co I.T.
Wagoner Co I.T.
Marion Co AR
Washington Co NC
available from OHS
Cyndie's List of Newsapers
Linkpendium's List of Newspapers for Tulsa
Graphics by Rhio
The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory
Vol 3, No 41
January 25, 1906 (Page 9)
Abstracted / Transcribed by Linda Haas Davenport
When the print is so faded that it cannot be read <.....> will be used . All transcription will be as found in the paper, misspellings and all
This is a special edition - promoting Broken Arrow & celebrating its 3-year anniversary. The issue is full of detailed information about (and photos of) local businessmen, and photos of businesses and residences.
Page 9, column 1
[photo column 1 & 2 - Hotel Kentucky Colonel spanning]
The hotel accommodations of Broken Arrow are noticeably ample and satisfactory - a fact which is not always the case in the rapidly growing towns of the Southwest. There are four hotels, the leading one being the Kentucky Colonel. This excellent hostelry, a half-tone engraving of which is given herewith, is under the very efficient management of Mrs. Vena Hunsecker, formerly of Morris, Ill: having been engaged in the hotel business at Enid, Sapulpa and Mounds, Mrs. Hunsecker has had experience, which accounts largely for the splendid satisfaction of the guests of this hotel. There is, pervading this house, an atmosphere of genuine, cordial hospitality, suggestive of that for which the blue grass region of Kentucky is so celebrated, and it is but natural that this hotel is popular.
The structure is handsome, well constructed and attractively finished containing numerous large, airy rooms, and is most conveniently planned for a hotel. Owing to the fact that the owner, Col Gist, has business interests elsewhere which demand his presence, this valuable property is for sale and offers an opportunity for investment in a well established business in a most progressive and up-to-date little city.
Located in the central part of the city, on the east side of Main street is the Central Hotel, which is under the management of Mr F N Dickerhoof, a native of Ohio, a reproduction of whose photograph is given herewith. More recently Mr. Dickerhoof resided at Emporia, Kan., from which point he came to this city a little more than a year since. The Central is a comfortable and well kept hotel, with rates at $1 and $1.25 per day. Special rates by the week. Mr Dickerhoof opened up for business on March 1, 1905, and has enjoyed an excellent business from the very first, the house steadily growing in popularity.
THE SIMMONS HOUSE [photo spans column 1 & 2 - Missouri, Kansas & Texas Depot]
This well-known and popular hostelry
Page 9, column 2
was the very first institution of its kind to be located in Broken Arrow. It is centrally located on the west side of Main street but half a block from the business center of the city, J S Simmons was the founder and is the present proprietor, and a more honorable and obliging landlord could not well be found anywhere. This is a popular priced house and everything is kept neat and wholesome throughout the entire house.
THE COTTAGE HOUSE
This hotel was one of the early established eating houses of the city. At this time, J T Simmons is the proprietor. It is a popular priced house, well and hospitably kept, centrally located, and well patronized.
I M THOMPSON
The first business house, other than a frame one, that was ever erected in Broken Arrow, was a large, two-story stone structure belonging to and occupied by I M Thompson with his stock of general merchandise. Mr. Thompson showed his faith in the town while it was yet in its infancy and as soon as the building was completed he filled it with a stock of general merchandise.
KATY DEPOT Page 9, Column 3
Through the courtesy of W J Sullivan, local agent for the Kathy Railroad, we are enabled to present herewith a half-tone of the depot, together with Agent Sullivan and his assistants. Mr. Sullivan has been in the railroad business about twenty years, during which time he has filled the position of commercial agent for the Iron Mountain, agent for the Choctaw at Oklahoma City, and traveling passenger agent for the Midland Valley. He came to Broken Arrow November 10, 1904, and without doubt has been the most popular and best all-around agent the company has ever had here. This office has found Mr. Sullivan especially courteous and obliging at all times. It is also due to the courtesy of Mr. Sullivan that we are enabled to present to our readers a brief review of the business done at Broken Arrow during 1905, which is as follows:
From our extensive coal mines just east of town, owned and operated by the Wear Coal Company and managed by J H Calvin, has been shipped 980 cars aggregating 39,000 tons. This coal is sold at the mines to our people for $2.00 per ton.
Of cotton, hay and live stock shipped out the aggregate number of cars was 125.
Mr. Sullivan received in cash on freight unloaded here the sum of $36,000 and 400 cars of freight were received and distributed from this point. By adding the above figures you have a total of 1,505 carloads handled. The money received from sales of
tickets was $11,000 and the American Express Company collected $4,200 express charges.
The total business done was more than double that of 1904.
HOLT & WARNING
This enterprising real estate firm is composed of G L Holt and L D Waring. Mr Holt was one of the very earliest settlers in the town, and has been engaged in the practice of law all the time. Mr Warning has spent some years in this section of country, but only during the past summer was his partnership with Mr Holt formed. Both are energetic and enterprising gentlemen and doing what lies reasonably within their power to build up Broken Arrow and surrounding country. They make a specialty of real estate and collections, always having on their books a good list of farm and city property.
W G COOPER & CO
W G Cooper, the senior member of this real estate firm, and also the manager, is an inter-married white citizen who has spent many years in this country and is thoroughly familiar not alone with the country itself but its people as well, and is thoroughly competent to inform anyone concerning this section of country or its people.
E P HINTON
The subject of this sketch is a native of Kentucky and one of the pleasant fellows who came here from the blue grass state. He is a thorough-going real estate man in farms and city property. Mr. Hinton devotes his personal time exclusively to his business and can doubtless give as much information about the country and be of as much assistance in locating home-seekers as any one else.
C G HALEY
In Mr. Haley we have one of those whole souled Irishmen whom it is always a pleasure to meet. He is an auctioneer, real estate dealer and all-round jolly fellow. He has been in the real estate business a considerable length of time and always has a good list of farm and city property for sale or exchange.
G H Truster & Son are the pioneer blacksmiths of Broken Arrow. They came here at a very early date in the history of the town and have been in the business almost continuously ever since that time. They have one of the largest and best equipped shops in the Territory and their workmanship and prices are such that they grow in business as the community grows in population.
J S Mater, a smith of many years experience and one who has been engaged in the business in this city for a long time, has recently built a new and commodious shop on West Commercial avenue, and is preparing to handle his full share of the trade when he has everything in readiness.
G W Webster has constructed and has in operation near Bower & Brown's elevator a nice new blacksmith shop and is prepared to attend to the blacksmithing wishes of all who have any wishes of this nature. Mr. Webster is an experienced smith and hopes to merit and receive a reasonable share of patronage.
M B Shuler, a blacksmith of thirty years experience, is flaming his forge and hammering his anvil in the shop opposite the Blue Front livery barn. Mr. Shuler is a very quiet and unassuming gentleman, but believes he is a competent smith.
On the ground floor of a large two-story brick building in the very business center of the city, D B Childers, who, by the way, is a Creek Indian, operates a bowling alley which he conducts in a manner which makes it and himself popular with all lovers of this method of recreation and exercise.
On the upper floor of the building occupied by the bowling alley is located F C Morrison's billiard and poll room. This institution is operated under the personal supervision of Mr. Morrison and no boozing, gambling or other objectionable features are allowed.
OPERA HOUSE Broken Arrow is especially fortunate in having a commodious opera house for public entertainments. It Page 9, Column 4
[photo spans column 4 & 5 - Residence of W T Brooks]
will comfortably seat several hundred people and has been the cause of several really meritorious entertainments coming to our city. E T Neibling or W P Fraker can give more information about this desirable house of amusement.
W T BROOKS [photo of Postmaster W T Brooks]
To be among the very first comers in a new country and watch its development is an interesting experience. To locate on the border of a great prairie, as yet untouched by the plowman's steel, and to aid in turning it into countless farms, and watch it blossom like the rose, brings to the mind of the average man the most pleasing reflections - a feeling that he has been useful to his fellow man and to a future state, and the agreeable satisfaction that his labors have been worth while. But, in addition to this, to so wisely locate that the spot chosen for a new home and business should so strike the judgment and fancy of thousands of others that a growing young city should spring up around it like magic, in a couple of years - to witness such things is to bring to the mind and heart of the beholder - of the actor in such scenes - the most pleasing emotions that fall to the lot of the man who has been a success in life. It is the good fortune of Mr. W T Brooks, one of the leading spirits of Broken Arrow, to entertain these pleasing reflections when he contemplates the results that have followed his labors, and those of his co-workers, in opening up this part of the marvelous southwest country.
Born amid the blue mountains of Hawkins county, Tennessee, Mr Brooks, as a lad of nine years, removed with his parents in the year of 1859 to Fayetteville, Ark., where in later years he was a teacher in the public schools. After removal to Hindsville, Ark., he was principal of the schools in that town, and in 1883 and 1889 represented the county of Madison in the General Assembly. To a natural ability of a high order, coupled with acquirements of a liberal and extensive nature, Mr Brooks added frugality, economy and careful investment of his earnings as a young man, and having a tendency to a business career, he found the banking business an inviting field for his labors. In this career he began as the vice president of the Madison County Bank, and in a few years he succeeded in making himself so entirely familiar with all the details of the bank's transactions that he became indispensable to its operations and soon acquired a majority of its stock, and then, as president and principal owner of that institution, achieved for it a splendid success.
After looking over this territory, Mr. Brooks concluded that this section of country between the Arkansas and Verdigris rivers, was destined to become the best and most populous part of this heaven-favored land.
Locating first at Elam, along with several associates from his late Arkansas
Page 9, Column 5
home, a mercantile establishment there opened in 1901, became a splendid success. But with a sagacity that has marked Mr. Brooks business ventures, he saw that the spot where now Broken Arrow stands, would necessarily be the nucleus of a future city. Hither he removed in 1903, and an immense volume of business was soon built up by his firm, then known as Brooks, Sanders & Williams Bros. Today Mr Brooks' mercantile interests are adding to the business activities of the city as they are represented by his directorship in that widely known corporation, the big department store of Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Co.
Mr. Brooks, is also a member of the board of directors of First National Bank, to which institution he lends the benefit of his wide and successful experience as a former banker.
Appointed postmaster of Broken Arrow by President McKinley on December 17, 1902, he was re-appointed by President Roosevelt, and the office was raised to the third class on January 1, 1905. Under the excellent management of Mr Brooks the office has steadily grown in importance and it is believed by its patrons that there is not in the Territory a better conduced nor a handsomer office.
Mr. Brooks, a photograph of whom is reproduced in this issue, is of that class of public spirited citizens without whom no city can be built. In the forefront for everything which goes to upbuild the town and the surrounding country, held in the highest esteam by those who know him best, and making friends easily and daily, both for himself and his town, Mr. Brooks is one of the conspicuous characters who have made Broken Arrow what it is and who are planning daily for Greater Broken Arrow.
Not being willing to get far away from primitive nature, Mr. Brooks has an agricultural lease 4 miles southeast of the city. His home, a handsome ten-room structure, on the corner of Fourth and Broadway, is one of the attractive residences of the town, as is shown by a halftone engraving in this issue. Here resides one of the town builders, where, with his admirable wife, a North Carolina lady, and his accomplished daughter, Miss Ora, who is a most efficient assistant in the postoffice, and four other children, two girls and two boys, he passes his ripening years with the proud satisfaction of knowing that he has done his full part in helping to prepare for statehood this splendid domain of the west.
Dr W D Tiller has had a suite of dental parlors in Broken Arrow well nigh three years. He came here from St Louis and grew up with the town. His parlors are in the Laws Block, where he is fully prepared and thoroughly competent to do all kinds of dental work.
Dr L J Sizer has but recently located in Broken Arrow. His dental parlors are pleasantly and conveniently situated over the post office. Dr Sizer comes well recommended to be a thoroughly competent dentist.
BOWLIN'S CASH STORE
This institution is one of the new and growing ones of the town. A J Bowlin, the proprietor, is one of those jolly, whole-souled fellows whom it is always a pleasure to meet and to greet. When he arrived in Broken Arrow a few months since from Kansas he opened a choice stock of groceries and some time later added a complete line of fresh and salt meats, together with such accessories as usually accompany a first-class meat market. Mr. Bowlin's popularity, together with the quantity and quality of his goods, is causing a merited growth in business.
End of Special Issue
Return to Broken Arrow Ledger Index
Return to Newspaper Index
Return To Home Page
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport