Cemeteries of Skiatook, OK
Gateway to The Osage Nation
Publisher (c): Skiatook Museum, 115 S. Broadway, Skiatook, OK 74070 918-396-7558
BOOT JACK GRAVE
This grave is located in a very remote area northwest of Skiatook. Many years ago a country peddler stopped at the farm of George and Rose Bradshaw, spending the night there after showing his wares and probably making a sale to the Bradshaws. The next morning he continued on his way, following the trail over the Osage hills and prairies until he came to a beautiful spring. There he made his camp for the night.
During the night robbers came upon his camp, robbed him and killed him. He was found the next morning by the cowboys who rode the vast range. His body was partially burned and a few articles that he had to sell were found scattered about. The cowboys dug a grave, buried the body along with his supplies. His boot jack was found and the cowboys nailed it to a large tree.
The man's identity was never known and the grave was referred to as "Boot Jack Grave." The nearby spring is also known as "Boot Jack Spring." The man's team of mules were found in Muskogee a few days later, but the murderers were never found.
As the boot jack would decay and fall from the tree, the cowboys on the ranch would put a new one on the tree. I was there several years ago and the tree had been struck by lightning and there may not be anything left of it now. There were several large limestone rocks at the spring with arrows and numbers carved on them. My dad did not know if these were directions to buried treasure or the direction to a certain place. This story was told to me by my dad, Everett Davis of Avant, 1898-1971. Submitted by Mary Arm (Davis) Hayes <Pg 26 - Includes photo of Everett Davis at the site of Book Jack Grave>
The Captain Cemetery is a private family cemetery located four miles southwest of Skiatook by Hominy Falls. It was established in 1877 by Auguste Captain who was half Osage Indian. The first grave is occupied by Julia Ririe who died March 22, 1877. She was the daughter of Auguste Captain. Auguste died on August 8, 1877. He was the great-grandpa of Earl Park and Verona (Park) Patrick.
Auguste, known as "Ogeese" by the Osages, settled at Hominy Fal1s in 1869 and laid aside a small plot of land for the cemetery. There are five daughters and one son of Auguste's in this cemetery. Jane (Moore) married Auguste Captain and later married "Lou" Appleby. She died on November 17, 1917, and is buried here.
In 1977 there were about 40 graves and some have been added since then. Recently more land has been purchased for expansion and is being fenced off by members.
These are all heirs of Auguste Captain and "Aunt Jane" Appleby and it will continue to be a family cemetery. It is well maintained and the quaintness of it resembles a well respected family within our community. Submitted by Katy Blakeman with information provided by Earl Park. <Pg 26 Includes photo of Captain Cemetery entrance>
Hillside Cemetery is located four miles north of Skiatook off Highway 11. Turn east on 185th St.-it's about one~ha1f mile off Highway 11 in Tulsa County. It is on 186th St. North- 186th St. is the Washington and Tulsa county line.
This cemetery was laid out by Rev. John Murduck, a traveling missionary. He was sent here by the Friends Association of Pennsylvania (Quakers) to this area of the Cherokee Nation, He was sent to build a church, which he did, but he was also involved in establishing and building the Hillside Mission school.
Across the road front the school three acres of land along this hillside were given by George Washington Lloyd for the interment of the dead. The first grave was occupied by Jesseen N. Lloyd, baby daughter of C. W. and lvi A. I Lloyd, in1882. More acreage has been added since that time.
No one is sure when Mattie Stevens and Annie Willets started keeping records and selling plots, but they did this for a number of years. ..... <there is now a Hillside Association. Pgs 26 & 27. Includes two photos of Hillside Cemetery>
The Lombard Cemetery is located approximately eight miles north of Skiatook off Javine Hill Road to the east and on some private land which was in the Lombard Indian allotment.
The first grave was occupied by John H. Mosier who died on July , 1872, at the age of seven months and five days. The second grave was Joseph J. Mosier who died August 9, 1872, at the age of one year, four months and nine days. The third grave was Robert Lumby who died on February 14, 1876, at the age of 65 years. The last grave was Alfred Raymond Brown who died April 23, 1917. He was the years old, son of R. A. and Wilda Brown.
There are 26 marked graves in this cemetery. No one knows how many more are probably there. This was a forgotten cemetery for many years and a few citizens of the Skiatook community took an interest in it and cleaned it up and cataloged it. Leonard Edwards was the one who took time to catalog it and get all the information he could. His interest in several of the local cemeteries has given us a lot of valuable information that we would not have if he had not taken time to do this.
There is a layout of this cemetery at the Skiatook Museum with names and dates of the known marked graves. Submitted by Katy Blakeman with information provided by Leonard Edwards <pg 27 - Includes photo of Lombard Cemetery on pgs 27 & 28>
OLD SKIATOOK CEMETERY Location: Section 35, Range 12E, T22N
The old Skiatook Cemetery is located approximately three-quarter of a mile south of Rogers Blvd. in Skiatook, Oklahoma, along the Osage and Tulsa county line. It is located on the east side of Osage Street in Tulsa County. The first marked grave is occupied by Howard F. Roark, born in 1882 and died in 1905. There is also other grave, Earl B. Bailey, who died in 1905.
There are 46 marked graves in this cemetery. The last grave is occupied by Lucy Ann Bigley, born in 1866 and died in 1936.
This was a neglected cemetery for many years. Thanks to Leonard Edwards, who has spent a lot of time there cataloging these marked graves, we have the layout of it and the names and dates of each one that had a marked stone.
It is a small plot of land and we are recognizing it as a historical place in our history book. There is a layout of it at the Skiatook Museum with names and dates. <Pg 28 Includes photo of the cemetery>
Osage Gardens cemetery is located approximately one and one-half mile west of Osage Street, which is the Osage county line in Skiatook, Oklahoma, on Highway 20. It was laid out in 1956, and the town began selling lots in January 1957. However, there was deed of a lot in December 1956 when a young man was killed in an accident, and that first grave was opened on December 31, 1956. It is occupied by Arvel Peters, son of Jimmie and Razz Peters of Skiatook. ... At the present time 4,400 plots opened. ... The layout of it and available plots are kept at the Skiatook clerk's office at Broadway and Second streets. All existing plot owners and the burial of each occupied grave are on record at the clerk's office. <Pgs 28 & 29 Photo of Cemetery included>
COLLINSVILLE RIDGELAWN CEMETERY
Ridgelawn Cemetery is located on Highway 20 to the west of Collinsville, Oklahoma. It is not known when the cemetery was opened, but they think the first marked grave was in 1889. It is a known fact that people would have to go to Claremore to get information or to buy plots as Collinsville was in Rogers County until 1918. They would have to ford the Verdigris River, and, when it was impassable, they would have to wait until they could get across it to get to Claremore before they could bury their loved ones in that cemetery.
This cemetery is owned and maintained by the town of Collinsville, Oklahoma. Several families have loved ones buried there as Skiatook's old cemetery was no longer in use and the county cemetery, known as Hillside, was almost full, so people used Ridgelawn as their family burial grounds.
The town owns several acres that are not opened up, so plots are available in this well kept cemetery. <Pg 29 Photo of Cemetery included>
SPERRY RESTHAVEN CEMETERY
Sperry Resthaven Cemetery is located just west of the Tulsa Osage county line in Osage County along 103rd St. North, northwest of Sperry, Oklahoma. It was established in the early 1920s. This land was part of an Osage Indian allotment grated to Frank H. Hildebrand on October 15, 1908, by Peter C. Bigheart, principal chief of the Osage Nation. In 1920 Frank and Nellie Hildebrand sold their 160-acre allotment to N. Levine of Rogers County. In 1923 N. Levine sold ten acres to Sperry Lodge No. 69 Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Sperry, Oklahoma, for $1,000. Both parties agreed that the tract would be used as a burial park.
In 1924 the trustees of Sperry Lodge No. 69 platted and staked the land into blocks, lots, streets and alleys. The tract was known as Sperry IOOF Burial Park. In June of 1924 the trustees of the lodge opened the cemetery for public burials.
The Sperry Branch of the IOOF merged with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 489 of Skiatook, Oklahoma, to whom ownership of the burial park reverted. Then on October 14, 1941, the IOOF No. 489 granted title of the ten-acre cemetery to the town of Sperry which at present retains ownership.
The name of the cemetery was changed to Sperry Resthaven Cemetery, and the town of Sperry has purchased approximately 50 acres an addition to the ten original acres. Less than 15 are currently being used for burials.
Information is available about this cemetery at the Sperry Armory Building. A book is soon to be published with research being done by A. J. Selvidge, Sperry, Oklahoma.
Several of the Skiatook residents buried their loved ones at Resthaven as the old Skiatook Cemetery was no longer being used and Hillside was almost full, so it was either at Sperry or Ridgelawn at Collinsville, Oklahoma. <Pg 29 photo included>
Return to Cemetery Index
Return to Home Page
Linda Haas Davenport