Post office established 8 Apr 1880, closed 31 Aug 1910.
Wealaka was located at a bend of the Arkansas River about 2 miles northwest of Leonard.
"Wealaka is a Creek Indian name meaning "Rising Water." W.L. Gilcrease, father of oilman Thomas Gilcrease, co-owner of a store and a cotton gin, platted the town and chose the name of Wealaka. The second post office in the Tulsa vicinity was named Wealaka, and operated in W.T. Davis' store from 1880 to 1892." (wikipedia.org - Wealaka Indian Territy)
[TCHS] "Development in the southern part of Tulsa county began as early as 1880 with the establishment of the Wealaka Creek Mission, about half way between Bixby and Leonard. The Mission was a school for Indian children in the area who attended free while the white children in the area paid $1 a month. The Mission was closed in 1910 after the state of Oklahoma took over the children's education. The old home of Pleasant Porter, a principal chief of the Creek tribe, was located near the Mission and his remains are buried in the Wealaka Mission Cemetery."
Arrived here via a search engine?Go to Cities Index page
Last Updated: December 2019