WEALAKA

Post office 8 Apr 1880 - 31 Aug 1910. [TCHS] Development in the southern part of Tulsa county began as early as 1880 with the establishment of the Wealaka Creek Mission, about half way between Bixby and Leonard. The Mission was a school for Indian children in the area who attended free while the white children in the area paid $1 a month. The Mission was closed in 1910 after the state of Oklahoma took over the children's education. The old home of Pleasant Porter, a principal chief of the Creek tribe, was located near the Mission and his remains are buried in the Wealaka Mission Cemetery.

 Arrived here via a search engine? Go Here

Linda Haas Davenport