Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 3

Introduction; "Tulsa Firsts"

Dividing Line

 INTRODUCTION

       The Pioneer Association of Tulsa held a banquet at the Boston Avenue Methodist church, South, March 31, 1925, with Lon R. Stansbery, president of the association, as toastmaster.
       During the evening Mr. W. S. Dickason was called upon to make a talk. In his remarks he said that, "the old timers who came here in the beginning of Tulsa are passing away. Only a few of them are left and a history of early Tulsa should be written now." He suggested that J. M. Hall be requested to write the history, as he was here at the beginning.
       Judge Harry Campbell made a motion that Mr. Hall be requested by the members of the Pioneer Association to write the history, and the motion carried.
       There being no other instructions than these, the author decided to write a short history beginning when Tulsa was located in 1882 and extending the story to 1900. He has made personal mention only of those men and women who were here at some time during those years. However, the story as it is finished includes some of the things that have been accomplished by these men and others beyond 1900. Perhaps some of those who should be mentioned have been overlooked. It has been very hard to remember the names of all who came to Tulsa between 1882 and 1900. If any have been overlooked the author regrets that fact very much.
       The committee appointed from the membership of the Pioneer Association to confer with the author as to what disposition to make of the story has rendered valuable assistance. The committee members and the years they came to Tulsa, besides J. M. Hall (1882) the author, were: T. E. Smiley (1884), Lou R. Stansbery (1889), Dr. S. G. Kennedy (1891), C. B. Lynch (1891), and Judge Harry Campbell (1895).
       The author is a plain, retired business man, and is not a writer. Therefore this story of the beginning of Tulsa is more particularly a record than anything else; a record so that the names of these men and women may not be forgotten.
       Perhaps too much has been written about some things and some men, and not enough about others. If this be true it is because the author is more familiar with the persons and events mentioned. He has simply tried to give some of the true facts about the beginning of the great city of Tulsa.

SOME "FIRSTS" IN TULSA

       The title of this history is "The Beginning of Tulsa." So that the readers may now glimpse what will be written about in more detail later on, it may be well to list the first events, with the years in which they occurred.

The Indians were removed to Indian Territory from their homes in the south in 1833.

The arrival of H. C. Hall, the founder of Tulsa, in 1882.

The first railroad north and south through Indian Territory was built in 1871.

The coming of the A. and P. and Frisco railroad marked 1882.

The first buildings, a depot, roundhouse and section house were constructed in 1882.

Tulsa was located in 1882.

The first store building was erected in 1882.

The first hotel went up in 1882.

The first two-story stone building was finished in 1894.

The first residence was built in 1882.

The new village's first organization was completed in 1883.

The first sermon was preached in Tulsa in 1883.

The First church organization (Presbyterian) was effected in 1885.

The first Methodist church was organized in 1887.

  Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport