Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 13

Dividing Line

 Mission School 1884

 

THE FIRST SCHOOL

       In the summer of 1883 a man drifted into Tulsa, claiming to be a school teacher. He was dead broke but opened a school in a small shack on the south side of First street, between Main street and Boulder avenue.
       The itinerant schoolmaster had not been teaching long, however, before he was found in one of the gambling tents. An investigation revealed that he was a regular gambler and his school did not last long. Fathers and mothers of the growing village did not want their children under this influence so they wrote to Rev. W. P. Haworth, then a Presbyterian missionary at Vinita and largely supported by the Presbyterian home mission board with headquarters in New York City.

REV. W. P. HAWORTH
Photo Rev W. P. Haworth

        Reverend Haworth was invited to come to Tulsa to talk about church and school conditions. He came at once and saw the needs that existed. The discussion turned to plans for opening a school and church under the church's home mission board.
       He was very much interested and made a favorable report to the board. Not long afterward the board made the proposition through him that it would authorize the erection of a school building that could also be used for church services if Tulsa would subscribe what it could toward the cost of the project. The board also agreed to furnish two teachers, paying all their salaries and to payment of the salary of a minister to be sent here. Tulsa accepted and Reverend Haworth was transferred from Vinita to Tulsa and in the summer of 1884 began the

  Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Book Index

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport