Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 23

Dividing Line

Presbyterian Mission School Teachers (con't)

 

MISS IDA STEPHENS
Presbyterian Mission School Teacher 1884 to 1886

Photo Ida Stephens

       Miss Ida Stephens is a citizen of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians. She attended Moody Bible Institute, Boston. When she was through school she returned to her home in Vinita, Indian Territory. She is a daughter of the late Spencer Stephens, one of the educators in the Cherokee Nation years ago.
       Miss Stephens came to Tulsa in 1884 which was before the Mission school building was finished. Mrs. Haworth, the pastor's wife and Miss Stephens opened a little school for a few children a short time before the school building was ready. Mrs. Stonecipher from Oswego, Kansas, soon arrived as superintendent and Miss Stephens as her assistant opened the Mission School in the Fall of 1884. At the beginning a small Melodian had been bought for the school,
       Miss Ida as we all knew her, was a fine teacher and a good musician. It was not long before the children learned to sing. Some of the Indian children could not speak the English language but soon learned to sing. Miss Ida was very happy in teaching and training the children and it was a great joy to her to see them develop into real help in the school, the church and Sunday school.
       She was church organist during the time she taught about two years. Miss Ida resigned in 1886. Soon after that time she married O. H, Haworth, son of the pastor of the Mission church. From this union they had five sons and two daughters. Harry died when he was a small boy. Claude died on the boat coming back from the World war and was buried here in Rose Hill cemetery. Perry lives in Washington, D.C.; Owen in Tennessee; Edgar lives in Oklahoma, all married and in business, Grace is living in California; Lucile in Turley, Okla. She and her husband are in the mercantile business,
       Mr. and Mrs. Haworth moved to California after the children married Mr. Haworth's father and mother had moved there several years before. Mr. Haworth did not live many years to enjoy their California home. Mrs. Haworth divides her time with her daughters. Her friends in Tulsa would like for her to spend all her time here.
       She will always be remembered by her pupils who attended the old Mission school from 1884 to 1886. She will not be forgotten by the old timers who lived here at that time.
       Miss Corbet, Miss Caroline Thompson and Miss Anna took the place of the three teachers that had resigned. About one year later Miss Corbett resigned. Miss Anna Thompson, Miss Caroline Thompson and Miss Lou Thompson the three sisters, were the Mission school teachers. Near the close of the school, for a short time, some other teachers taught. The board sold their property and closed the school in 1899. Public school opened in 1899

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport