Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
The First Commercial Club (con't)
Tulsa was only a little trading place-several stores and only one railroad.
REV. GEORGE W. MOWBRAY, SR.
Rev. George W. Mowbray, Sr., was the second pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church in Tulsa. He came with his family in 1888. He was the fifth mayor of the city and first president of the Commercial club, and was a great booster for Tulsa to the day of his death. He organized the Mowbray Undertaking Co., which has always retained that name. Following the tragic passing of T. J. Archer, his son-in-law, he was too occupied with pressing business affairs to take any regular church charge.
FIRST BOOSTER TRIP
In 1904 the club members thought it would be a good thing to advertise Tulsa by sending the town band to the Louisiana Purchase exposition at St. Louis. There was one difficulty. There were more bandsmen than instruments. A stirring meeting was held and $1000 raised for the horns. The club members paid the railroad fares to and from the exposition and the players' expenses while there. The band gave concerts two afternoons in front of the Indian Territory building on the exposition grounds.
W. S. DICKASON
FIRST LUMBER YARD
The first exclusive lumber yard was opened by W. S. Dickason and T. E.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport