Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Early Tulsa Businesses (con't)
Two years earlier Dr. Mudd of St. Louis, Dr. Booker of Tulsa, and the writer loaded a wagon with a tent and a cooking outfit and set off up the river. Where the Cimarron empties into the Arkansas the first night's camp was made. While the tent was being erected Dr. Mudd walked a short distance away. He had been gone but a few minutes when a shot was heard. He had brought down a fine deer.
J. H. McBIRNEY
J. H. McBirney arrived in Tulsa from Kansas in 1897 and became bookkeeper for the Tulsa Banking Co., the town's first bank. Soon afterward he was made assistant cashier and after the reorganization of the institution it was not long until he was made a vice president.
POT OF GOLD FOUND
Tulsa had a slight gold flurry the year before, in 1883. Two men were making rails west of what is now the Tulsa Country club golf course. Going home one evening they saw a pot sticking out of the bank of a ravine. On examination it was found to be full of gold coins, supposedly buried years before by the Indians. They hid the money in another place and went into town. But one couldn't keep the secret, or didn't want to. He told a friend and the friend told two others. The four dug up the gold and carried it to Tulsa. The man who told originally disappeared. One of the four soon possessed a fine team of horses, a wagon and complete outfit. Another built a house. The third was known to have deposited $500 in gold in a merchant's safe. Two of the three met tragic deaths and the third died many years ago.
TULSA'S FIRST LAWYER
Tulsa's first lawyer, who was also the town's first mayor, came from Rochester, Ind. He was Col. Ed Calkins. He arrived in Tulsa in 1894 and practiced law until his death many years ago.
EARLY TRAVELING MEN
Traveling men made regular trips into Indian Territory before Tulsa was a town. Naturally they included it in their itineraries after 1882.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport