Table of Contents
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Links to other sites
Schools & Churches
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives
Graphics by Rhio
The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.
Lee Clinton (con't)
he returned to that town and began a business career by clerking in a store. Later he, too, moved to Tulsa, where he followed business by becoming a stockholder in and vice president of the National Bank of Commerce. Still later he became connected with the First National bank in the capacity of vice president and when the First Trust & Savings bank was organized he joined that institution. More recently he has engaged in the real estate and investment business for himself.
Like his older brother he went to Georgia for his bride. Now, with Mrs. Clinton and their son and daughter, he lives at 1332 S. Guthrie avenue.
KENNEDYS COME THEN
Dr. Samuel Grant Kennedy, first came to Tulsa in April, 1889, on his way to the opening of old Oklahoma. He and his brother, the late Dr. J. L. Kennedy, returned and located in Tulsa, September 20, 1891, and engaged in the practice of medicine. Dr. J. L. Kennedy died some years ago but Dr. S. G. Kennedy is still at work helping build Tulsa, a task that has engaged him since the time. Tulsa was an Indian village of 350 souls, with three stores besides the drug store, a small hotel, a livery stable and a blacksmith and saddle shop.
The doctor was active in the practice of medicine for years after his arrival. The practice extended over the country for many miles and this meant hardships, traveling by horseback or buggy to attend the sick. The country was thinly settled, with patients to be visited in the Cherokee strip as far away as Cleveland, west to the old stage stand, which is now Kellyville, south to Spike S ranch, Mounds, Bixby, Wealaka mission, and to the vicinities of Catoosa, Ramona, Skiatook, Pawhuska, Hominy, Keystone and Mannford. He gave his patients his best. He retired after many years at this task.
The doctor was a graduate in medicine and was licensed by the Creek medical board which, under the law, made him a licensed trader which, in turn, gave him rights to possess property upon which to live and transact business. This possessory right cost $25 a year and the possession of his old homestead, where the Kennedy building now stands at Fourth street and Boston avenue, cost him 50 cents a front foot.
The two brothers showed their nerve and faith in the future of Tulsa first within a year or two after their arrival when they erected a five room house on the homestead. Later Dr. S. G. Kennedy built the first brick building in Tulsa for their office, just north of the old First National bank building between First and Second streets on Main street. The brick in this building were sun dried, made by primitive methods as in Biblical days. He, with the other pioneers, had the courage to put their hard-earned money into buildings upon land that they didn't possess until the townsite act was passed.
ACTIVE IN CIVIC AFFAIRS
Doctor Kennedy was a charter member and director of the first Commercial club. He kept this post of director for many years. He was one of the members of the committee to help secure the charter of incorporation. He served on the city council in early days. He was a member of the committee to help secure the Katy and other railroads. He has been a member of most of the fraternal organizations and has always contributed liberally to charitable affairs and to the movements for a bigger and better Tulsa. He has been successful in his efforts and has been interested in the city's financial institutions for years, keeping this interest, or even letting it grow, as the years rolled on.
The affection of the pioneers for this early physician was revealed on the thirtieth anniversary of his arrival in Tulsa, on September 17, 1921. He invited all of the old timers to be his guests at his farm north of the city where a great barbecue was served. More than 300, with their families, were present and it was here that the Pioneers association was formed and Doctor Kennedy elected the first president.
While Doctor Kennedy has been a big builder for Tulsa in the past he is still a builder and intends to keep on building, he says.
He and his brother married two of the Lombard girls, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. A. Lombard. Dr. S. G. Kennedy has a large family of children. The family home is at the corner of the Osage, Creek and Cherokee lines, near the Tulsa Country club.
Return to Table of Content
Return to Tulsa Home Page
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport