Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Difficult Bridge Building (con't)
excited. He hired an Indian living near by to haul the carcass to the depot from where he shipped it to Buffalo quite gleefully.
It was in the latter part of 1883 or the spring of 1884 that the railroad was finally extended across the stream and Red Fork actually established. James Parkenson built a storehouse there and J. M. Hall & Co., obtained a license from the secretary of the interior to erect a store building next to the right-of-way. The railroad did not have an agent nor a depot there for several years and a room was built on the Hall store for handling all the freight, the railroad company paying the store owners five cents per hundred pounds on the shipments. The railroad also gave permission for the use of a small car over the tracks between Tulsa and Red Fork. It took about 10 minutes to make the trip.
After the treaty made with the Dawes Commission and a committee representing the Creek Nation came to an agreement. One of the provisions provided that the townsite should be surveyed. Gus and Dan Patton, brothers, were selected to survey the townsite of Tulsa in 1900.
WHEN TULSA WAS DRY
Before the railroad was extended from Sapulpa, Tulsa could have had the division point if it could have furnished the water. The railroad company had one deep well dug north of the tracks near the river but no water was found. Another test north of Tulsa proved insufficient and the railroad turned to Sapulpa, where Rock creek was dammed.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport