Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
S. R. Lewis (con't)
farm near the present town of Dawson. Later they were interested in coal mining. Lou Lewis, uncle of S. R. Lewis, was a deputy United States marshal and the younger man was associated with him for two years. Mr. Lewis moved into Tulsa in 1898 and was admitted to the practice of law in 1902. He helped the Dawes commission make the treaty with the Cherokee Indians that brought about the allotment of the Indian tribe's lands. Before this the land had been held in common by the tribe. At the same time the government conferred the rights of citizenship on the Cherokees. Years ago Mr. Lewis married a Claremore girl. The family home is at 104 N. Zunis ave. Mr. Lewis still maintains his law practice, devoting much of his time, however to his property interests.
INDIANS THERE, TOO
By 1927 there was a real hope that the invitation of the Stansbery's to the old timers would be made a standing one. Sure enough it was. The gathering that year was on June 27 and it was one of the greatest in the history of the association. The record of pop bottles emptied stood at 800, which gives some idea of the crowd. Many full-blood Indians attended and they enjoyed the music, speaking and dancing fully as much as their white friends of many years standing. Some of the old timers were conspicuous by their absence, however, for death had taken its toll during the year. Of course, Mr. Stansbery was re-elected as president. Judge Campbell was made vice president again and Mr. Price reelected secretary. Mrs. T. E. Smiley became the treasurer and J. M. Hall, Dr. Fred Clinton, H. M. Price, C. B. Lynch, A. F. Antle, Harry Campbell, M. J. Glass and P. K. Price were put on the executive committee.
MANY WHO LEFT TULSA
Regret is often spoken that many of the early day Tulsans moved away. Among those remembered are: E. J. Hines, now of St. Louis, Alvin Hodge, Ed Crewell, Dean Hogan, Joe Baird, Doctor Reynolds, Charley Brown, J. M. Morrow, Charley Forsythe, Bob Thornton, Sam Blair, Walter Flippin, Dent Ray, Harry Hershaw, Lam Hooks, Sig. Crowder, Frank Pearce, Bob Dalton, B. Mellow, Jim Jenks, Tom Stufflebean, John Stufflebean, now of Springfield, Mo., Dick Richardson, Anton Gillis, Rev. Leonard P. Davidson, Rev. B. H. Broyles, now of No. 36 Overall road, Philadelphia, Pa., the Reverend Bowden, Reverend Chenoweth, Rev. J. M. Porter, John McClannahan, Gabe Walton, Andrew Brady, Joe Goumaz, Spence Kallam, Dick Morgan, Bill Mann. A. W. Orcutt, L. W. Lindsay, Pat Coyne, the Amerine boys, O. H. Haworth, Bill Sennett, Frank Woods, John Hogan, Tom Jones, John Strickland, Charlie Payne, Wes Kennedy, Wash Wolf, Grant Dalton, Emmett Dalton, Lon Lewis, Jack Wimberly, Mill Smithson, Lum Sloan, Louis Gillis, C. U. Dorman., George R. Brobeck, W. F. Ott, Missou Simmons, Jake Hershaw, Jim Duncan, Frank Sennett, C. B. Warren, now of Owasso, J. B. Hall, now of Bixby, Joe Sisson, now of Mounds, Dave Fox, now of Pryor, Dr. Vic Pranter, now of Springfield, Mo., Raymond Funk and W. H. Mosher.
H. P. Newlon: The author knew Mr. Newlon in Oswego, Kansas. He was postmaster there four or five years. He resigned or his term expired about 1876. Before he was postmaster he lived in, or in the vicinity of Oswego,
Soon after he left the postoffice he came to the Indian Territory. He stopped first at Vinita. Later he moved to Wealaka. Which was located about 20 miles south of where Tulsa is now located and on the south side of the Arkansas river. A mission school supported by the Presbyterian Home Mission Board of New York was located at Wealaka. Mr. Newlon lived there for some time.
When Tulsa was located in. 1882 he sold his home in Wealaka. He was among the first settlers to locate in Tulsa. He built a small building on the southeast corner of First and Main streets and opened Tulsa's first drug store. The doctor's office was in the drug store. He lived in Tulsa for several years then moved
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport