Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 69

Dividing Line

H. P. Newlon (con't)

to Missouri. Later they returned to Tulsa. Soon thereafter he died.
        Two of his daughters live in Tulsa. When they first came here in 1882, they were little girls. Now they have families of their own and are good Christian women. Mrs. Eclipse Mills lives at 106 east Jasper street. Mrs. A. E. Turner lives at 116 east Jasper street. They have many friends in Tulsa. Those who have known them longest are their best friends.

FRED TURNER
{Photo of Fred Turner
        Fred Turner was engaged in the mercantile business in Tulsa in 1898 and 1899 and for a few years later. He purchased a few choice pieces of property in Tulsa and held them for awhile. But Muskogee, his home town, had such a hold on him that he decided to sell at least some of his holdings here and return there. He sold the corner where the new McBirney and National Bank of Commerce buildings stand for $300,000. He picked up a few more dollars before he left, paid the taxes on the rest of his property here and went back to Muskogee where he is sitting and waiting for that city to grow to Tulsa's size. The real pioneers of Tulsa had no love for Muskogee, the city that monopolized the federal offices in the early days, greatly inconveniencing Tulsa business and professional men. Muskogee was angry when Tulsa asserted its rights. But Fred Turner left many friends in Tulsa and if he will come back an office in the Pioneers' association is promised him.

Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans

HENRY ANDERSON

        Henry Anderson located on Shell creek in 1890, about three miles north of what is now Wekiwa. He bought the lumber for his home in Tulsa and it was a tedious haul to the wilderness where he built. He had no near neighbors. To make the journey to and from Tulsa easier for his family he built a road to town. This cost him a great deal of money, despite the fact that he had several fine teams of horses on his place and employed a number of men. His road was built some years before the Katy railroad was laid.
        Mr. Anderson stocked his ranch with cattle and hogs and his children have followed him in the ranch business. John, one son, has grown children and lives on his own ranch near Wekiwa. Ed died a few years ago. Skinner and his family live in Sand Springs. Noble and his family live on a ranch near Wekiwa. There was one daughter, who married Roy Simms. The writer will always remember her. He and C. H. Nicholson lost their way near the Anderson home one dark night. They called time and again and from far away a girl's voice answered. Guided by the voice they found their way to the Anderson home, where supper awaited, as well as a comfortable place to sleep.
        The Andersons were all members of the Osage tribe and those now living receive their quarterly payments from the common fund of the tribe. By judicious investments they have made a great deal of money.
        "Uncle Henry," as Mr. Anderson was known, to the pioneers, was a special policeman for the Osage country for about twenty years. He was twice married. The first Mrs. Anderson was a white woman but was a member of the Osage tribe. The second Mrs. Anderson is a member of the Delaware tribe. She bore Mr. Anderson two daughters and one son. They are now living on their ranch at the head of Shell creek lake. The original Anderson ranch is covered by the lake's water.

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport