Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 71

Dividing Line

Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)

Honorable Legus C Perryman (con't)

to the white population. He maintained his office in a room connected with the Hall store.
        He represented his people as a delegate to Washington many times and was largely responsible for making the settlement with the government relinquishing the right of the Creeks to what is known as Old Oklahoma, the territory opened to settlement in 1889.
        Mr. Perryman was very charitable to his people. If he had only one dollar in his pocket and one of his people asked for half he would give it all to him. He fed many families giving orders on the Hall score. When the store owners saw his friends were imposing on him he was told: "Governor, you are giving too many orders on the store. If you don't stop they may be turned down." "I wish they would be," he replied. He had too big a heart to refuse them himself.
        After Mrs. Perryman died he was not the same man. He had no home, living among his friends. He died a few years ago, heart-broken.

Dividing Line

        Rev. Thomas Perryman remained on his farm south and west of the present townsite of Broken Arrow for several years after Tulsa was located. He was a prominent Creek Indian and a minister in the Presbyterian church. He held services for years in the old Broken Arrow Presbyterian church.
        In later years he built a home at Cincinnati avenue and Seventh street, on the same block of ground that bears the present Presbyterian church. He had married a Miss Brown, a school teacher from the east, and had a family of three boys and one girl. Two of the boys, Arthur and Walter, live in Tulsa. The other son, Tom, lives on a ranch in Texas. The daughter married Rev. E. H. Broyles, who has been pastor of a Presbyterian church in Philadelphia for several years. Mr. Broyles was graduated from Auburn seminary and, when a young man, was pastor of the Tulsa Mission church from 1896 to 1898. Reverend Perryman died many years ago.

Dividing Line

        A.T. Hedge moved to Tulsa in 1884. He built a small dwelling near Third and Main streets, where the McElroy family lived for a few years. Later he built a farm house at what is now Eighth street and Elgin avenue. He fenced in a pasture beginning at Elgin street and running east to near Lewis avenue and pastured cattle there. Still later he built a home at Eighth Street and Detroit avenue. In later years he moved to a large farm near Coweta, where he died several years ago. He had the reputation of being a quiet, law-abiding citizen, being a citizen of the Creek Nation he had a right to enclose what land he could use. He was a brother of Dave Hodge.

Dividing Line

        Honorable D. M. Hodge was one of the leading citizens of the Creek Nation in the early days. He was a natural orator and had the advantage of many Creek political leaders in that he also spoke English. He was a leader in the council house at Okmulgee and represented his people many times in Washington. He was very friendly with Chief Pleasant Porter and, like Chief Porter, was glad to see the white men come into this country and show the Indians how to develop its possibilities. Mr. Hodge died years ago. He lived in Tulsa for some time but spent most of his time on his farm south of Broken Arrow.

W. G. WILLIAMSON

Photo W G Williamson
        W. G. Williamson and his brother, George, came to Tulsa in 1898 and engaged in the mercantile business for many years. In later years Mr. Williamson has been busied with his valuable property investments here. He was unmarried when he came but soon chose a young Missouri woman, then living in Tulsa, for a wife. They have one daughter who is married and has a child. Mr. And Mrs. Williamson live at Sixth Street and Boston avenue.

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport