Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
Arthur Antlecame from Missouri to make Tulsa his home in 1898. He was engaged in the cattle business for a few years and later entered the livery business in the stone livery barn built by Berry Hogan. At this time the livery business was a paying one and he continued in it for several years. Later he was associated with Charles Page as one of his trusted men and he is still with the Page interests. Mr. Antle has property interests in Tulsa and Sand Springs and is also interested in the Ford Company at Sand Springs. He married one of Tulsa's girls after coming here and lives with his family at 1230 S. Main Street.
John Archer,a brother of T. J. Archer, came to Tulsa a few years after his brother. He was a cattleman and improved a farm just north of the town, marrying a young woman citizen of the Cherokee nation. He died at his home a few years ago. The Archers had one daughter and several boys.
Andy Arthurcame to Tulsa about 1895. He was a miller by trade and was employed by Jay Forsythe. Later he engaged in the feed and seed business on West First street. He died a few years ago, survived by his widow and two daughters, both of whom are married. Mrs. Arthur lives at 1607 S. Norfolk avenue.
Lou Applebylived in or near Tulsa from 1882 until his death years ago. He married a citizen of the Osage Nation and had a large ranch near Skiatook. Later he built a home in the city. His wife died several years after his passing.
Dr. J. C. W. Blandcame to Tulsa in 1885. He had been graduated from the Missouri Medical college in 1883. He had many exciting experiences in this Indian country. There were few roads and many trips of more than 50 miles each way had to be made horseback. Many of his surgical patients, of a necessity, were outlaws. Those were the days when doctors as well as others had to learn not to talk. Dr. Bland was the community's faithful friend. He died in Tulsa, after having spent his last few years looking after his cattle ranch and farm. Soon after his arrival in Tulsa he married the daughter of W. T. Davis, one of Tulsa's most respected families. After the death of Mrs. Bland the doctor made his home with a daughter, Mrs. Vera Stickle, at 411 S. Victor ave. There are several other children in the family.
Albert Baberis another of that large army of Missourians who came to Tulsa. He arrived in 1898, and most of his time since then has been spent as a peace officer. During one period when law violation was most frequent he was elected city marshal against great odds. Never was there a more determined effort on the part of the outlaw element to defeat candidates for office than was put forward against Baber for marshal and Judge L. M. Poe for mayor, but both won. Coincident with the announcement of the election some of the characters in the city thought they would find out if the new marshal had any nerve. They sent a drunken fellow into the drug store where Marshal Baber happened to be and he insulted the marshal, who promptly kicked him into the street. After this the marshal was respected and made one of the best in the city's history. Mr. Baber is married and he and Mrs. Baber have three daughters. The family lives at 318 W. Fairview Street,
W. J. Babercame to Tulsa about 1897 and was a bookkeeper and later had charge of the Forsythe mill on West First street. He engaged in numerous other enterprises before his death a few years ago.
John Belfordwas one of the town's early painters. He left many years ago and trace of him has been lost.
Dick Bardonwas one of Tulsa's comparatively early merchants and the Bardon store at 109 S. Main Street is one of the largest of its kind in the state now. Mr. Bardon has been in very poor health for a number of years but his business has gone ahead under other management.
L. T. Bartoncame to Tulsa from Kentucky in about 1885. He was a farmer and engaged in other business as well. He did not live to see Tulsa grow into a city but his widow and children did. The widow is Mrs. Mary Barton who lives at 67 N. Victor ave. She is an extensive property owner, as are her children.
R. M. Barkerarrived in Tulsa in 1899 and for 24 years was engaged in a hardware store. He is one of Tulsa's quiet citizens and lives at 1010 S. Cincinnati avenue.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport