Table of Contents

What's New?
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
Links to other sites
Photo Gallery
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives



Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

 Page 73

Dividing Line

Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)


Photo of J E Mills

        J. E. Mills came to Tulsa in 1897 and for a number of years was in the hide, fur and poultry business in which he was very successful. He retired from active business many years before his death in June, 1924. The family home is at 106 E. Jasper street, and his widow, Mrs. Eclipse Mills, and their daughter, Teenie, live there at this time. The daughter is married and her husband, S. R. Bates, is in the Exchange National bank. A son, Dewey Mills, lives in Kansas City. Mr. Mills was of a very quiet disposition and was respected by all who knew him. He was a director in the National Bank of Commerce and was made an elder in the First Presbyterian church in 1899. (Deceased.)

Dividing Line

        Ott Boone came to Tulsa at an early date and was in the Morrow drug store for several years, later working in the Shackle store. He is also credited with publishing the first small newspaper in the town. His experience included employment with a packing company as buyer, too. When oil was found he went into that business and has been in it ever since. He married after coming to Tulsa and he and Mrs. Boone have one daughter who is married.

Dividing Line

        Frank Bowlin came to Tulsa in 1892 and was in the grocery business for a time and then the real estate business. He was one of the early tax assessors and at the present time is with an oil company. He married after coming to Tulsa and has four boys married, one girl married and one girl single.

Dividing Line

        Jim Boyd came to Indian Territory several years before Tulsa was located. He had a cattle ranch about 10 miles southwest of the present Red Fork. A few years after the creation of Tulsa he moved to town with his family where he lived until his death several years ago. He is remembered as one of the fine early citizens.

Dividing Line

        J. Y. Brand put his feet on Tulsa soil in 1899, coming from Kentucky. He has been a deputy sheriff and of late has conducted a lunch stand in the court house. Mrs. Brand died some years ago.

Dividing Line

        Dr. F. L. Brewer was one of the pioneers to practice medicine in Tulsa. He is now living in Arkansas with his family. (Deceased.)

Dividing Line

        Fred Buckey is a real old-timer. He has been here so long the moss has begun to grow on him. The writer first knew him about 1885, when Fred was a stripling of 125 pounds. Now he weighs about 200. He was hard to keep up with, living in Tulsa for a while, then on

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page


Contact: Linda Haas Davenport