Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
Fred Buckey (con't)
Bird creek, then near Broken Arrow and later in Tulsa, Now his home is about two miles west and half a mile south of the city. He is one of Tulsa's most reliable old-timers.
William Burgess, a member of the Cherokee tribe of Indians, built a log house south of Standpipe hill in 1883. He was a member of the Indian police force for some time, later moving to his farm north of town where he died many years ago.
P. P. Bushwas an old timer many will recall. After the first water pumper for the Frisco was killed Mr. Bush took charge of the station at the east end of the railroad bridge over the Arkansas. Cat creek was dammed near its junction with the river and the railroad water supply was drawn from behind the dam.
Burl Coxwas one of the early deputy United States marshals. Later he followed various lines of work in Tulsa. He married a citizen of the Creek nation. He died several years ago.
Sanford Kelly came from his Missouri home to Tulsa in 1897 and has been a fine citizen since. He clerked in a store a time and later engaged in the oil business and made some money. Now he is in the clothing business, a member of the Crews-Kelly firm on Main Street. He married after coming to the new town and lives at 1327 E. Twenty-first Street.
George Campbellarrived in Tulsa from San Antonio, Texas, in 1898 with $3.40 in his pocket. He often says he would have returned home had he had money. Now he is glad he didn't. He was with the J. W. Morrow Drug Co. for some time and later in other stores. He is now with the A. Y. Boswell Jewelry Co. and he and Mrs. Campbell are living happily.
Dr. A. H. Collinscame to Tulsa at an early date and was later employed by the government at surveying the allotments of the various Indians. He has been the county surveyor a number of terms and holds that position at the present time. At one time he moved to West Texas but his love for Tulsa was too strong; he came back to stay. He has reared a large family. (Deceased.)
Lon Conwaycame to Tulsa in 1889. For many years he was a contractor and builder of houses. He married a Missouri girl after coming here and they reared a son, who is now married. Mrs. Conway died several years ago and Mr. Conway now makes his home with his son at 702 S. Elgin ave. He is kept busy looking after his property interests and investments.
Isaac Cooperis a man very few of the old timers will remember. He was our first gunsmith. As far as we know he had no family of his own, but had some relations living in the country. He will not be forgotten on account of his kindly disposition. He died many sears ago.
J. M. Crutchfieldwas foreman of the W. E. Halsell ranch for some years. After he was married he lived on his farm north and east of town (since brought into the city limits). He and Mrs. Crutchfield died several years ago. They are survived by one daughter, Vinita, who is now Mrs. B, M Grotkop of Tulsa. Mr. Crutchfield was a citizen of the Cherokee nation.
L. R. Darrowcame to Tulsa in 1895. He has had a music store since that time, meanwhile interesting himself in the development of the town in any way he has been able to be of assistance.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport