Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
Jim Egan (con't)
the east side of Main street. He sold this building in 1904. He has been in the oil business for many years and has been very successful. He lives with his family at 904 S. Guthrie avenue.
Fred Erricksonwas a cattleman who lived with his wife in early Tulsa. His cattle ranged in the pastures near the city. He died "in the harness" several years ago.
R. T. Eppersonwas in Tulsa when it was but a small village. In later years he entered the oil business and lived in Texas for several years, returning to become connected with another Tulsa oil company. He has two splendid sons who are following him in the oil business while they live with their grandfather, Jay Forsythe.
Tom Feeleycame to Tulsa at an early date and engaged in various kinds of work thereafter. When Oaklawn cemetery was located between East Eighth and East Eleventh streets and west of Peoria avenue the city officials looked about for a man to become its caretaker. Mr. Feeley was recommended for this position and he was appointed. He has now held this post for more than 20 years. He says he has been so busy making good that he hasn't had time to get married. (Deceased.)
B. F. Finneyhas been a resident of Tulsa since 1897. He was in the advertising business about 20 years, but is now in the investment business with his office at 18 1/2 W. Third street. He married after coming to Tulsa and lives at 1638 S. Boston avenue with his wife and daughter. He has always been a Tulsa booster.
Claude Flippinowned one of Tulsa's first butcher shops, but since he moved away his whereabouts have been unknown.
George Forsythelived here for many years, engaging in various occupations. He was a devout member of the Methodist church, south. He died a year or two ago and is survived by his widow and several children.
John Freemanhas lived in or near Tulsa for many years. At an early date he owned the 3-D ranch on Wild Horse creek in the Osage Nation. In later years he moved to Hominy in the Osage Nation. He and Mrs. Freeman still make their home there. They have two daughters both of whom are married. Mr. Freeman is always a welcome attendant at the old timers' picnic at Stansbery lakes.
Warfield Phillips came to Tulsa from North Carolina in 1884 and has been a resident since. His first employment was building a number of homes for Osage Indians. For a time he clerked in the T. J. Archer store. Later he was in the cattle business and from that went into real estate, which still engages part of his attention. He is the general foreman of the city park board. He married after coming to Tulsa and he and Mrs. Phillips live at 104 N. Union avenue. They have one son and one daughter, both married.
Antonine Gilliscame to the neighborhood of Broken Arrow in 1876 and rented a farm from C. A. Owen. He was there three years and then on the Taylor Postoak farm for several years. After the Frisco railroad was extended to Tulsa in 1882 he located in the Cherokee nation
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport