Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
Antonine Gillis (con't)
north of the tracks, not far from where Madison avenue crosses the railroad. He built a log house, thinking he and his family would be able to prove citizenship in the Cherokee nation. They were not able to, and had to move out. He had a large family. John and Charley, his two sons, were successful farmers. Lewis had a blacksmith shop in Tulsa. Dave had a plumbing shop. The father died many years ago. His widow, "Grandma" Gillis, is still living. 100 years old. (Deceased.)
Dave Gilliswas the son of Antonio Gillis, who in 1883 built a log house in the Cherokee Nation on the north side of the Frisco railroad, near where Madison avenue now crosses the tracks. Dave lived at home, learning the plumbing trade, and was later in that business in Tulsa. He is now living west of Tulsa, along the Sand Springs interurban line, with his step-mother, Grandma Gillis, who is 113 years of age.
Charles Hamiltoncame to Tulsa many years ago and was an accountant and bookkeeper for various cattlemen. He left at one time to live in Texas but returned some years ago and is now in business at Scales, near Tulsa.
Dave Harriswas a citizen of Tulsa for years before his death. One son, Walter, lives on a farm near Jennings. Dave is remembered by the old timers because he would visit the stores, sit on the counters and pick his banjo and sing to entertain the cowboys and others.
J. W. Goumazand his father were early Tulsans, "Dick" as he is known to the pioneers, having been a young men when he came. For many years now he has been an employee of the board of education, looking after school property. He married after coming to Tulsa and lives with his family at 16 N. Maybelle avenue.
J. D. Haglercame to Tulsa in 1898 and was in the mercantile firm of Hagler and Gamble. He was a member of the first school board and also served on the city council. He moved away once but returned with A. W. Ault and bought the City National bank in which he was engaged until his death. During his business career he accumulated some valuable property. He is survived by his widow and two daughters who make their home in Tulsa.
L. L. Hallcame to Tulsa in 1897 when he was 23 years of age. He is the son of W. P. Hall of Sand Springs, and has engaged in numerous lines of business. At the present time he is connected with the Roxana Petroleum Corp., and lives with his wife and daughter at South Boulder avenue and West Eight street. He has one son, Harold, who is married.
L. L. Hall was in the Spanish-American war, serving in Cuba, and enlisted in the World war from Tulsa and served in France.
John Hollandcame to Tulsa in 1889, and for a year was a farmer north of the city. Then he clerked in the Hall store for a number of years, after which he engaged in the mercantile business for himself. After he sold this business he made a number of profitable investments. More recently he sold some of his property and invested in a Missouri fruit farm, where he still lives. He married Miss Anna Winterringer, one of Tulsa's best-known young women, 32 years ago.
Mike Homercame to Tulsa with his wife and son at a very early date, living first on a farm on Flat creek, north of the city and then on a farm south of town. Mrs. Homer died a few years after their arrival in the territory. The son met a tragic death some time later. He and his father had driven two mule teams to town to get lumber. On the return journey the son's team ran away and the boy was killed. Mr. Homer later married a citizen of the Creek Nation and moved to town. He died many years ago and is survived by the widow and son who live in Tulsa.
Bill Joneswas one of the committee that assisted the engineers when the M. K. and T. railroad was extended into Tulsa. He was a farmer and had been a cowboy. When he first came to the Indian country he lived with George Perryman. A few years before his death he lost his eyesight. The early Tulsans all remember him.
Rev. H. T. Jonescame to Tulsa at an early date. He was one of the town's first Baptist preachers. He used to hold services in an old wooden building between First and Second streets on Cincinnati avenue. He often held evangelistic services in the country and probably is remembered by more old-timers than any other minister in Tulsa.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport