Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
P. L. Price (con't)
Tulsa Banking Co building in that block were destroyed by fire, the blaze took the Gillette-Price store, too, the Lynch building alone escaping. After this Mr. Price engaged in the grain business and later in the cattle trade. He put the first sand plant on the Arkansas river and shipped sand to many points in Oklahoma. A few years ago he sold this business and went into lumber. He also is interested in other businesses. He and Mrs. Price live at 404 S. Elwood avenue. They have several married children. (Deceased.)
John Querry was the son of William Querry, and was a United States marshal for several years. He has been engaged in numerous lines of work and is held in esteem by the pioneers.
William Querry lived near Tulsa in the early days. He made the entry into old Oklahoma in 1889 and later served as treasurer and collector of Payne county. He came originally from Lawrence county, Missouri, and had been a lieutenant in Co. K, of the Twenty-third Infantry. Here he was a member of the G.A.R. and also active in the membership of the Baptist church. After living in Payne county a few years he moved back to Tulsa where he died several years prior to 1927.
Dr. Philander Reeder and his son, Dr. C. L. Reeder, were two early Tulsans. The father had a farm near Keystone and lived there for a number of years before returning to Tulsa, where he died August 20, 1915, to be followed by his son in 1927.
C. W. Robertson was one of Tulsa's early blacksmiths. He served one term as city marshal and later moved to a farm for a time. He returned to the city after a few years and still makes this his home. He married after coming to Tulsa and has several children.
Ernest Roop came to Tulsa from Missouri in 1896 and has engaged in the drug business most of the time between that period and the present time. He and Mrs. Roop have raised a splendid family, three girls and two boys. One of the boys and one of the girls have married. The Roop family home is at 708 S. Owasso avenue.
M. J. Rominecame to Tulsa about 1896 and since that time has been engaged in the real estate and oil business. He was an early member of the Commercial club and has always been a great Tulsa booster. He has been successful in business but of late years has not been in the best of health.
P. C. Rothhammer came to Tulsa in 1888. He died 27 years ago and Mrs. Rothhammer passed away six years ago. Mr. Rothhatnmer had been engaged in the transfer business here. There were seven daughters in the Rothhammer family. Three are married. The other four- May, Joe, Grace and Pliny - live together at 536 S. Gillette avenue.
F. J. Scott came to Tulsa in 1898 from Lebanon, Mo. He was in the mercantile business at Second and Main streets for some years and was very successful. He married after coming to Tulsa and is survived by his widow and three daughters who still make this their home.
Frank Seaman arrived in Tulsa a few years after his father, John, who came in 1890. Frank was one of the town's first dentists. In later years he has been recorder for the Knights Templar. He married after coming to Tulsa and has his home at 305 N. Santa Fe avenue.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport