Table of Contents
The Beginning of Tulsa
(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)
Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - seecopyright statement.
Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)
United States Marshal Wilkersonwas a deputy working out of the federal court at Fort Smith. He was Tulsa's faithful guard during the days the Frisco railroad was being extended to the Arkansas river. He was credited with keeping the new town fairly free from outlaws and bootleggers.
George Williamson, who came to Tulsa with his brother in 1898 and was engaged in the mercantile business for some years, was the second president of the Tulsa Commercial club. He also was in the banking business and was interested in the Tulsa Vitrified Brick and Tile Co., and in other lines. At the time of his death some years ago he was in the clothing business. At his passing, Tulsa lost one of its best boosters. Mrs. Williamson still lives in Tulsa. (Deceased.)
Robert Williamsoncame to Tulsa in 1899. He came from Missouri and was in the Williamson Brothers store for years. He was with the Nicholson & Jordan Mercantile Co. for three years and in 1913, he bought an interest in the Wright Clothing Co. and was in the clothing business for 14 years. At the present time he is in the real estate business. He married and he and Mrs. Williamson have one daughter and live at 204 S. Indianapolis avenue.
T. J. Wilsoncame to Tulsa in 1893 from northern Indiana and engaged in the jewelry business for some years. He acquired some valuable property. He and Mrs. Wilson make their home now at 2320 E. Thirteenth street. They have one son, Paul, an attorney in Tulsa.
W. G. Williamsonand his brother, George, came to Tulsa in 1898 and engaged in the mercantile business for many years. In later years Mr. Williamson has been busied with his valuable property investments here. He was unmarried when he came but soon chose a young Missouri woman, then living in Tulsa, for a wife. They have one daughter who is married and has a child. Mr. and Mrs. Williamson live at Sixth street and Boston avenue.
C. O. Winterringerarrived in Tulsa in 1889 and engaged in the grain business. He also acted as the agent for a sewing machine company for a while and later was a clerk in the Archer store. Still later he was in the mercantile business for himself. He joined his father-in-law, Rev. George W. Mowbray, in the Mowbray Undertaking Co. and after Reverend Mowbray's death continued the business with other associates. The Mowbray company is the oldest firm of funeral directors in the city.
Like most of the rest of the young fellows who came here in the early days, he married a Tulsa girl. Mr. and Mrs. Winterringer now lives at 844 N. Denver avenue. They have two sons and three daughters. One boy is married and two of the girls. They have five grandchildren.
R. N. BYNUM R. N. Bynum bought Perryman and Reed's store in 1886 and for many years was a successful businessman in Tulsa. During this time he served the city as mayor one term. He sold his mercantile business many years ago and was in poor health for some time prior to his death at the home of a son in Tulsa. He has two sons living in the city and two who are prominent farmers near Tulsa. One daughter also lives in Tulsa.
R. N. BYNUM
R. N. Bynum bought Perryman and Reed's store in 1886 and for many years was a successful businessman in Tulsa. During this time he served the city as mayor one term. He sold his mercantile business many years ago and was in poor health for some time prior to his death at the home of a son in Tulsa. He has two sons living in the city and two who are prominent farmers near Tulsa. One daughter also lives in Tulsa.
Contact: Linda Haas Davenport