Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

Page 90

Dividing Line

 Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)

R. E. LYNCH
Photo R E Lynch

        R. E. Lynch, or "Bob," as everyone calls him, came to Halsell's ranch in 1887. He was there three years as Mr. Halsell's private secretary. He kept account of the cattle bought and sold and looked after more than 50 cowboys. In the fall of each year he bought thousands of bushels of corn and thousands of tons of hay. The corn was bought by measurement in wagons or cribs and the hay was measured in the stack. "Bob" was authority on measuring hay or corn.
        In 1890 the J. M. Hall Co. employed him as bookkeeper, and to have general charge of the store when members of the firm were away. There was never any worry on the part of the owners when "Bob" was on the job.
        "Bob" was united in marriage in 1891 with Miss Grace Goodemote, a sister of Mrs. C. L. Reeder. They were married in Dr. Reeder's home in Tulsa, and the author and Mrs. Hall attended the ceremony. Now the Lynches have five children, four sons-Roy, Percy, Clayton and Clarence-all married and fine young business men, and one daughter, Aurelia Lynch.
        In 1893 "Bob" engaged in business for himself and built the first two-story stone store building in the town at the corner of First and Main streets. This building still stands as a monument to his name.
        Mr. Lynch is now and has been for many years in the real estate and oil leasing business, and probably knows more about the oil leasing game than any oil leaser in the state. He has the reputation of being willing to get up at any time of night to do a friend a favor.
        He was a member of the city council years ago. Now he has his office in the city but lives on his farm about two miles west of Tulsa on the hill north of the Sand Springs interrurban line.
        Died in 1932, age 67 years. Left a wife, one daughter and four sons.

W. P. HALL
Photo W P Hall

        W. P. Hall came from Texas to Tulsa with his family in 1897. He is a brother of H. C. and J. M. Hall. He was in the Hall store in Tulsa for several years, later moving back to Texas and then returning to Mounds. He returned to Tulsa for a short time, but through the influence of the late Charles Page, built his home across the street from the Page home in Sand Springs where he still lives with Mrs. Hall. They have two children, married, Mrs. Lottie Sisson of Mounds, and L. L. Hall of Tulsa. W. P. Hall is retired. Died in 1930, age 80 years

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport