Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 The Beginning of Tulsa
By J. M. Hall (1927)

(c) Karolyn Kay Garland (1997)

Nothing here is free for the taking. This book is reproduced here with the permission of the copyright holder - see copyright statement.

Page 94

Dividing Line

Brief Histories of the Earliest Tulsans (con't)

JAMES WOOLLEY
Photo James Woolley
        James Woolley came to Tulsa, March 1, 1887, with "Shanghai" Pierce, who had all of the pasture south of Catoosa under lease. Jim was one of "Shanghai's" cowboys and married one of the Dawson girls, after whose family the town of Dawson was named. Jim has lived in or around Tulsa since his arrival. He served as a county commissioner from 1911 until 1915 and was sheriff during 1915 and 1916 and again in 1919 and 1920. As a county commissioner he helped build the present court house.
        Died in 1931, age 64 years. Left a wife, two daughters and one son.

JOHN McBRIDE
Photo John McBride

        John McBride, who was one of the early coal mine operators near Dawson, at one time owned the block of ground where the Masonic temple now stands- between Boston avenue and Main street and Seventh and Eighth streets. Later he acquired extensive farm property near Mohawk park where he and Mrs. McBride live. Their two sons are in business in California.
        Died 1931 age 68 years.

Dividing Line

Previous         Next

Return to Table of Content

Return to Tulsa Home Page

 

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport