Law & Order news
IT & OK
Tulsa Co I.T. (OK)
Broken Arrow Ledger
Muskogee Co I.T.
Ft. Gibson Post
McIntosh Co I.T.
Wagoner Co I.T.
Marion Co AR
Washington Co NC
available from OHS
Cyndie's List of Newsapers
Linkpendium's List of Newspapers for Tulsa
Graphics by Rhio
The Broken Arrow Ledger
Broken Arrow, Indian Territory
Vol 3, No 41
January 25, 1906 (Page 3)
This is a special edition - promoting Broken Arrow & celebrating its 3-year anniversary. The issue is full of photos along with detailed information about local businessmen, businesses and residences. The photos on my copies are not clear enough to put online. If you want copies of any of these photos contact Broken Arrow Historical Society they have the microfilm.
When the print is so faded that it cannot be read <.....> will be used . All transcription will be as found in the paper, misspellings and all
NOTE: Purchasing old newspapers on microfilm is expensive and abstracting is very time consuming. Please respect my hard work. Feel free to use any information found in these newspapers for your own use, family history, etc. DO NOT copy this page and place it on any website, either personal or for profit. For any other use please contact me. Linda
Page 3, Column 1 & 2
THE LANCASTER, McANALLY, SANDERS CO.
One of the Big Concerns of the Southwest.
The manifest tendency of the times, in large and successful business operations, is toward the legitimate combination of capital and the association together of trained and successful business men, each an expert, a specialist along some particular line. No happier illustration of the wisdom of such methods can be found anywhere in the territory than is afforded by a glance at the mercantile emporium of the Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Co. of this place. Located on the corner of Main street and Avenue G. the two immense store rooms of this prominent company at once attract the attention of the stranger. An interior view of one of their establishments is given herewith. The tasteful display and immense stock of goods are two features that strike the eye.
In February, 1905, the present company successors to Lancaster, McAnally & Co., was organized with a capital stock of $50,000.00, and the following well-known citizens are stockholders:
Page 3, Column 2
T. C. Lancaster, T. A. McAnally, N. L. Sanders, W. T. Brooks, J H. Rhyne and J. M. Crutchfield. Of these the following officers were elected: President, N. L. Sanders; Secretary, T. C. Lancaster; Treasurer, T. A. McAnally. Directors: W. T. Brooks, J. H Rhyne and the officers above named constitute the board of directors.
This body of ripe, safe businessmen make up a company marked for its strength and solidity and is widely and most favorably known throughout this part of the Creek country. The large proportions which this business has assumed is only one of the many indications of wonderful growth of this section. In the grocery department they purchase commodities in carload lots, and the goodly number of salesmen behind their counters are kept constantly occupied in supplying the wants of their already large, but steadily growing stream of customers - some of whom come from miles across the prairie in order to do business with a house that has won their confidence, and can so fully supply their wants.
Up to Top of Page
Page 3, column 2
[Photo N L Sanders]
N. L. SANDERS.
The subject of this sketch was born in Texas and when he developed into a full-grown man he compared in size with the average man about the same as his native state does with the average state. Early in life Nat moved to Arkansas, where he has spent the most of his past years. He was educated at the University of Arkansas, at Fayetteville, but spent most of his years of residence in that state within the boundaries of Madison county.
Like many another good citizen of Arkansas, he contributed much of his time and talents to the upbuilding of his home locality in various ways, and during President Cleveland's last term he filled the very responsible position of deputy collector of Internal revenue for that district.
After two very successful years in business at Elam, Broken Arrow was founded on the new line of the railroad just four miles away from Elam, and this large firm wisely chose to move to the new town. The firm continued in business until February, 1905, when Mr. Sanders sold his interests to some of his partners and shortly allied himself with the present firm of Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Company, of which he was at once elected general manager, which position he still holds. He is an exceptionally expert accountant and devotes all necessary time to the books and accounts of the firm.
Mr. Sanders, a half-tone of whom we are more than pleased to present to our readers, is a prominent Odd Fellow, is a director of First National Bank and has filled very satisfactorily positions of local importance. His wide experience and agreeable manners make him an especially valuable and desirable citizen of our little city.
Page 3, column 2
MR. T. C. LANCASTER.
Among the prominent business men who have made Broken Arrow the beautiful and prosperous little city that she is today, Mr. T. C. Lancaster is conspicuous, and as such it gives the Ledger pleasure to present herewith a half-tone reproduction of is photograph.
Born in the county of Wayne, state of Tennessee, and reared in the city of Clifton, in the same county, Mr. Lancaster came in the year 1900 to this southwest country, residing first at Okeene, Oklahoma, where he was associated with one of the leading mercantile establishments of the place, for some time. In the year 1902, Mr. Lancaster's attention was attracted by the wonderful possibilities of this Creek country, and after a tour of inspection, found no spot so strikingly attractive as the place where now spreads out the charming and business-thronged town of Broken Arrow - located as it is adjacent to the fertile stretches of the Arkansas river valley on the west, and of the Verdigris on the east.
Mr. Lancaster is an earnest and enthusiastic Knight of Pythias, and gives the Ledger the information that steps are being taken to organize a lodge here.
[Photo T C Lancaster]
In a delightful part of the town on West Broadway, Mr. Lancaster has his comfortable home, and one element that must enter into the contentment and happiness of his daily life, is to be found in the high and universal esteem in which he is held by the community, and the felling of satisfaction that must come to him in the consciousness of the fact that he has had no little part, and is today taking no secondary position, in regard to all things and matters which tend to hold greater Broken Arrow.
Up to Top of Page
Page 3, Column 3
T. A. McNALLY.
In charge of the grocery department of the Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Company's establishment, Mr. T. A. McAnally has become one of the well known and highly esteemed business men of Broken Arrow. Originally from Clifton, Tenn., Mr. McAnally was formerly in business at Joplin, Mo. In November, 1903, he came to Broken Arrow and in December of that year opened up for business - the firm being then known as Lancaster, McAnally & Co. The big corporation now operating on the corner of Main and G streets is the outgrowth of the business thus founded.
[Photo - T.A. McAnally]
In the most desirable residence part of town on West Commercial avenue, Mr. McAnally has a delightful home, with a beautiful lawn and fruit trees to add to the attractiveness of the premises.
J. M. CRUTCHFIELD.
From Western Platt county, Missouri, Mr. J. M. Crutchfield came to the territory and to Broken Arrow in September, 1904. In May, 1905, he became a member of the extensive house of Lancaster, McAnally, Sanders Co.,
[Photo - T. C. Lancaster]
wherein he is a most potent factor in its business activities. Like every other member of this prominent commercial organization, Mr. Crutchfield owns a handsome residence, which is located on West Commercial avenue. Active, energetic and popular, Mr. Crutchfield adds no little to the big business house of which he is a part. He takes deep interest in Masonry, in which order he has taken high degrees. Although a comparatively new addition to the business and social interests of Broken Arrow, Mr. Crutchfield has done much indeed by his genial manner, open hospitality and obliging disposition to add largely to the growth and development of his adopted city, and as the years pass by he will contribute his full share toward insuring a permanency in the transformation of this section of the Creek nation into a high and lasting state of civilization.
Up to Top of Page
KENNEDY IMPLEMENT CO.
On the east side of Main street, second door north from the First National Bank, is located the Kennedy Implement Company. The firm consists of J. W. and J. A. Kennedy, father and son. Although this was the first building in Broken Arrow to be erected for the use of an implement store it was first opened as a hardware store about the first of January, 1906. This company proposes to be ever ready to fulfill the wants and wishes of all who call there for anything in the implement, shelf and heavy hardware, pump, windmill, harness, or saddle line. Many years of experience in other localities has fitted these People well for this line of business and with the constant and rapid development of this section of country their success seems absolutely certain. Their location being directly the postoffice, is very advantageous.
[Photo spanning columns 4 & 5 - J. A. Barth Mercantile Co]
J. A. BARTH MERCANTILE CO.
Page 3, Column 4
A Commodious Department Store.
When a homeseeker in this new southwest has found a place that just suits him to build his home and has builded it, then when he wants to furnish and equit it comfortably, suitably and quickly, it is no small pleasure for him, accompanied by his wife, to walk into a place like that of the J. A. Barth Mercantile Co.
Here is, for any new town, only three years old, a revelation. In two storerooms, one 130 feet deep, the other 90 feet, a half-tone engraving of which is given herein, they find a bewildering array of those useful as well as ornamental things that must be installed in the new home before it looks like the one left behind in the States. It is rather wonderful and certainly most convenient for the new-comers to find under one roof so large a proportion of those necessary things that go to make a house seem homelike. Not only is here to be found a vast and varied stock of furniture, stoves, carpets, rugs, cutlery, enamelware, etc., but also harness, saddles, guns - equipments alike for man and beast, and the thousand and one things that are needful in a new home.
Mr. J. A. Barth; the proprietor of this large, well-known house, was born some forty years ago in St. Louis, and coming to Broken Arrow from Kansas City and starting in business in October, 1903, is one of the leading men and progressive spirits of this really marvelous little city. Mr. Barth is a business man of wide experience and training, having been formerly for a number of years associated in business with the celebrated and colossal house of the E. H. Moses Mercantile Co. of Great Bend, Kan. For ten years he was manager of the establishment at Claflin, Kan.
Last year Mr. Barth found it necessary to extend his building 70 feet in order to accommodate the growing volume of his trade and now has just completed another large structure, with brick and plate glass front alongside the present establishment, and thus enlarged, it makes one of the conspicuous department stores of this southwest country.
Up to Top of Page
Page 3, Column 5
THE VARIETY STORE.
As the name Implies, this growing institution is indeed a variety store. In it will be found a great variety of essential articles, all attractively displayed and carefully and wisely chosen for their adaptability to this locality. F. W. Braly, the genial manager of this institution, is a man of large experience and a straight business man.
H. H. Jackson is proprietor of this store, which is a veritable wonderland of comparatively inexpensive articles of household convenience and necessity. During the few months that Mr. Jackson has conducted this store he has added largely to the stock and is striving in every manner possible to please the patrons of his house.
[Photo - spanning Column 4 & 5 - Residence of Robert Fry]
Page 3, Column 4
At first glance at the engraving presented herewith of an attractive home the reader is likely to not detect that it is the residence of a Creek Indian, but such is the fact. Robert Fry, the proprietor, was born near Lawrence, Kan., forty-two years ago, but has spent almost all of his life near his present home. The postoffice of Fry is on his premises and named in his honor. In his own right and the right of his family he has 960 acres of as valuable farm land as the sun shines over. He has a son and two daughters, whose mother is dead. On October 22 he was united in marriage to
Page 3, Column 5
Miss Cornelia Ratcliff, in Kansas city. The present Mrs. Fry is a white lady and taught the Fry school during the winter of 1904-5, and is a lady of refinement and intelligence. Mr. Fry has successfully filled various responsible positions under the Creek government, having been a member of the house of warriors four years, Creek national tax collector for eight years, and at the recent election was elected auditor of the nation, which position he will hold until March 4, when the Creek government will expire according to the provisions of a treaty between the Creek nation and the United States government.
[Photo - spanning columns 4 & 5 - Residence of W H Ruth]
Up to Top of Page
Return to Broken Arrow Ledger Index Return to Newspaper Index Return To Home Page
Linda Haas Davenport