Table of Contents

Home
What's New?
Addresses
Bits & Pieces
Cities & Towns
Death Related Info
E-Mail List Tulsa
Family Genealogies
History
Links to other sites
Look-Ups
Maps
Marriages
Newspapers
Photo Gallery
Queries
Resources
Reunions
Schools & Churches
Sister Counties
Weather In Tulsa
USGenWeb OK Site
AHGP OK Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Co Site
USGenWeb Tulsa Archives

AHGP

USGenWeb


Graphics by Rhio

 

First Methodist Church
Tulsa, OK

Picture Postcard and Short History

(postcards courtesy of USGenWeb Penny Postcards)

Dividing Line

Established December 1886

5th St & Boulder Ave.

 "The Methodist Episcopal Church, the forerunner of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, was constructed in 1887 at the corner of Main and Cameron Streets. Reverend George Mowbray was its first minister. The congregation later built a new structure at Fifth Street and Boulder Avenue." (Tulsa Preservation Commission)

Rev. George W. Mowbray, Sr., was the second pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church in Tulsa. He came with his family in 1888. He was the fifth mayor of the city and first president of the Commercial club, and was a great booster for Tulsa to the day of his death. He organized the Mowbray Undertaking Co., which has always retained that name. Following the tragic passing of T. J. Archer, his son-in-law, he was too occupied with pressing business affairs to take any regular church charge. By his death Tulsa lost one of its most prominent citizens of all time. Mrs. Mowbray, a lovable, Christian woman, lives with her daughter, Mrs. T. J. Archer at 808 N Denver avenue. (Deceased) (Beginning of Tulsa)

In 1888, Miss Matie Mowbray and her sister Anna, opened a day school in the First Methodist Episcopal Church, North Main and Brady, to reach children whose parents would not or could not pay tuition. (The Tulsa Spirit: a pictorial and entertaining commentary on the growth and development of Tulsa, Oklahoma pg 118)

"First Church has been called "The Cathedral of the South," a perfect example of Perpendicular Tudor Gothic architecture. The structure was designed by Charles W. Bolton and Sons, Architects, of Philadelphia. The exterior is entirely of native sandstone, except the trim and tracery in the windows, which is Indiana limestone. The stone was quarried in Oklahoma, about 15 miles from Tulsa. The body of the church is cruciform in outline, apparent in both exterior and interior views. The walls are solid stone from 18 inches to 2 feet thick. The vaulted roof and massive trusses are of solid oak--a timber symbolical of strength." (From 1st Methodist Church's History website)

 Dividing Line

Return to Photo Gallery Index

Return to Main Page

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport