Tulsa Times A Pictorial History:
The Early Years

If you arrived here via a search engine - PLEASE go to Section One and read the introduction

Photographs From the Beryl D. Ford Collection
Text by Susan Everly-Douze
Edited by Terrell Lester
(c) 1986 by: World Publishing company
318 S. Main Mall
P.O. Box 1770
Tulsa, Ok 74102

Dividing Line

Section 6

Homesteading

Dividing Line

Page #

Description of the photos. My comments are between the [ ] Author's captions are in black.

116

[Photo of The Rouser residence, 409 S. Kenosha Ave, Broken Arrow, 1904. This is a "common man's" house. A small 1 & 1/2 story house]

117

Homesteading: [short narrative]

Tulsa's earliest concentration of white settlers arrived with the railroad in 1882. .... Tulsa's first permanent residences, crude wood-framed structures without running water or sanitary facilities, were clustered around the newly built Frisco Railroad tracks and equally new Main street. Even Fourth Street and Boston Ave was considered a location high "on the hill" and outside of town. .... As Tulsa transformed from cow town to oil boom town, early-day homesteaders had to count as neighbors gambling halls and the likes of the Bucket of Blood Saloon, a popular, rowdy watering hole where "fights were had about every other night." Still, thanks to forward-thinking business and civic leaders, Tulsa never matched the vice and violence excesses of other oil boom towns such as nearby Kiefer, described as the "toughest town east of Cripple Creek, Colo." As a result, Tulsa developed and played on a reputation as a city where a man could take advantage of the oil boom, but still bring his family along and build a home.

118

The Rev Sylvester Morris, an itinerant preacher, built this three-room native white-oak home for his bride, Harriet, and step-daughter, Lyda Smith, in Tulsa in the 1880s. Morris lived in Tulsa, but ministered mostly to a country flock. One evening, while returning home, he was shot dead in his buggy by US marshals who mistook him for a whiskey peddler. His horses continued the journey home with his body still in the carriage.

119

One of Tulsa's earliest homes, the residence of Chauncey Owen. This pioneer Tulsan, who arrived in Indian Territory in 1874, was the settlement's first hotel keeper. He supplied beef to the railroad crews and set up a boarding tent. Not much later, he built Tulsa's first hotel on the north side of the Frisco Railroad right-of-way. Owen, who married an Indian, sold Tulsa its first park land, which today bears his name.

[photo of a very small house]

120

[Upper photo is a small frame house on Maybelle Ave. Two women standing in front of the house holding a horse with a young girl in the saddle. Lower photo is a shot of Maybelle Ave.]

121

[Photo of R.N. Bynum's house on southeast corner of 2nd and Main Streets. Man, woman and 3 children in front of the house and a woman standing in the back door]

122

[Top photo is the residence of Jack Burgess, North Boston Ave. Lady seated holding a baby and two small children and a man are in front of the house. Lower photo is a photo of the home of Charles L. Reeder, early Tulsa doctor-druggist. Mrs. Reeder is shown with her Kentucky thoroughbred horse.]

123

[top photo - Residence of Judge Napoleon Boneparte "Pole" Childers in Wagoner county near Coweta. The house was used to hear small claims cases. Bottom photo - the frame ranch house, built in 1883 on Flat Rock 1/2 mile north of Reservoir Hill, which was the center of a huge cattle empire, the Crane and Laimer Ranch. Crane and Laimer came to Tulsa from Kansas and leased 150,000 acres of grassland from the Indians for three cents an acre.]

124

[Home of W C Rogers, Cherokee Chief from 1903 to 1917 - Skiatook. The chief and a woman are in front of the house]

125

[Photo of Boulder Boulevard, or as it was popularly called - "Millionaires' Row" when oil money began to raise mansions. 1400 block of Boulder in 1909.]

126

[Photo of the Katy House, an early boarding house on North main Street run by Dr. Charles L. Reeder. Several people are posing on the front porch]

157

[photo on left: Home of R N Bynum on the northeast corner of 5th & Cheyenne Ave. Photo on right: Home of Lou North, 802 S. Boston Ave about 1908]

128

[photo of the home of George Bullette on North Norfolk Ave about 1894. Several people on the front porch]

129

[Photo on the left - House of J M Holland, 334 N Detroit Ave - which was still in the suburbs at the time - 1906. Anna Holland on porch. Photo on right - Huge home of John A Seaman, Fourth Street and Cheyenne Ave in the early 1900s]

130

[Home of George Norvell, 916 S Lawton Ave, early 1900s. Horse & buggy, man on a horse and some women and children are in the photo]

131

[Beautiful and VERY large home of Dr. Fred S. Clinton, southwest corner of Fifth Street and Cheyenne Ave.]

 

Dividing Line

Sec 1

Sec 2

Sec 3

Sec 4

Sec 5

Sec 6

Sec 7

Sec 8

Sec 9

Sec 10

 

Dividing Line

Return to Photo Gallery Index

Return to Main Page

Contact: Linda Haas Davenport