Tulsa Times A Pictorial History:
The Early Years

If you arrived here via a search engine - PLEASE go to Section One and read the introduction

Photographs From the Beryl D. Ford Collection
Text by Susan Everly-Douze
Edited by Terrell Lester
(c) 1986 by: World Publishing company
318 S. Main Mall
P.O. Box 1770
Tulsa, Ok 74102

Dividing Line

Section 8

At Work

Dividing Line

Page #

Description of the photos. My comments are between the [ ] Author's captions are in black.


[Photo of a man in a wagon with two draft horses in front of Lewis Grocery store]


At Work: [a short narrative]

The railroad workers came first. Tulsey Town was a settlement where men first made a living surveying grades, laying ties and driving spikes - or selling supplies and bed-and-board to those who did. As the century got ready to run, huge Tulsa-area ranches made cowpuncher the career of choice. Only a few years later, however, it was the newly discovered oil fields of Red Fork and the Glenn Pool that became synonymous with jobs. ... By 1909, 78 oil companies and producers, five tank builders, four drilling companies and five oil-well supply companies had made Tulsa their headquarters, according to the city directory for that year. ... there were seven jewelry stores, all in the vicinity of Second and Main streets, two auto dealers and two dressmaking emporiums, including the Parisian Parlor. In 1900, Tulsa's population was 1,300; by 1909, it was 18,240, according to a lavishly illustrated promotion for the boom town. ... the town boasted 47 factories and 11 wholesale houses. Almost 5,000 Tulsans worked in factories, mines and the oil and gas fields. There were 70 plus lawyers, eight banks and two stockbrokers. Watermelons still were sold from horse-drawn carts, but the town boasted 48 grocers, 33 restaurants, six bakeries and three wholesale meat markets. By 1909, little more than a quarter century after pioneer Tulsans had to confine their purchases to staples in tent stores, it also was a time for a few frills. There were three music stores, two millinery establishments, eight cigar stands, two chili parlors and two detective agencies.


[Dick Bacon and his son Lee on a wagon loaded with watermelons - 1904 in the vicinty of Edison and Zenith streets]


[Photo of Tulsa Auction grounds at Boston Ave and First Street - 1903]


[Tulsa's first Fire Dept. Fire wagon with a team of 3 horses. Several uniformed firemen are pictured - 1900. The fire alarm was two gun shots]


[Photo of the fire that destroyed E C Robinson Lumber Co - 302 N Main]


[Photo of a horse and wagon. Sign on wagon: "Wholesale Candy: J.A. Waldrep standing in front of store with a sign: Whole Confectionery on the awning.]


[Photo of the interior of J.A. Waldrep's candy business, 109 S. Cincinnati Ave. Sign reads: "5 CENT CIGAR". Two men are pictured along with stacks of large tubs/buckets]


[Photo of Jay Forsythe's first flour mill on West First Street. Jay and his first miller, Andy Arthur, opened Tulsa's first bathhouse where a Saturday night tub cost 20 cents. Sign on one building: Buyers of Cotton & Grain]


[Top Photo: The Smith Brother's coal pit in Dawson (now a part of North Tulsa) in 1898. Lots of teams of wagons and people. Bottom Photo: Photo of men logging walnut trees along the Arkansas River.]


[Top photo: Will Lynch's barn near Dawson. Bottom photo: Photo of the Henry Post Office and Store on the Henry Anderson Ranch in the Osage, about 18 miles from Tulsa. Several people pictured - one guy on a horse with his rifle in his hand.]


[Top Photo: Photo of handmade plows and oxen yokes displayed in front the Bays blacksmith and wagon repair shop - First Street and Cheyenne Ave about 1898. Bottom photo: C W Robertson Sr and Jr - early blacksmiths on Archer Street.]


[Photo of the families of the men who worked on paving Tulsa's streets - 1907]


[Photo of the street paving crews and a section of road being paved. Men over 18 and under 45 were required to give a day's work yearly or pay a $3 tax.]


[Photo of a street crew with a steam powered paving roller - 1909]


[Photo of the Tulsa Vitrified Brick and Tile co which provided most of the bricks for Tulsa's streets. Located at 1202 W Easton St (now Roosevelt Elementary School]


[The owners of Guaranty Laundry (Richardson & Matthew) pose with their new 1911 panel delivery truck. Laundry located at 314 S Detroit Ave - although the sign on the truck says: Phone 5019 "14-16 West Archer"]


[Interior shot of the interior of Palace Drug and Office Supply on south Main Street. 4 people (workers?) and one dog are shown.]


[A Y Boswell's jewelry store, 123 S Main. Photo shows store front with a glass display window advertising Ingersoll Watches.]


[Interior photo of the jewelry store. It's very large and fancy. Clerks are in suits and ties. Ladies are also pictured behind the counter. Flowers in large vases are shown and fancy overhead light fixtures.]


Billy Bruner, a Creek legend (left and below with his son), was on both sides of the law. Following an arrest for liquor trading, Bruner accidentally killed US marshal Bill Moody. While in prison, he met then-Ohio Gov. William McKinley, who soon became president and pardoned the young Indian. After his release, Bruner didn't retire his Winchester but joined a Tulsey Town voluntary posse that tracked down outlaws. Bruner, who was said to have had at least 6 wives and lived well past 100, was credited with helping to establish law and order in Indian Territory. [photo on right]. In Indian Territory, the nearest federal court was 100 miles away in Ft Smith, Ark. Early-day Tulsans depended upon Wes Kennedy, the city's first marshal, pictured here with his wife in 1898.


[Top Left Photo: Tulsa Police Force - 1909. Bottom left photo: Portrait of Cherokee Bill - 1890 age 14.] "Cherokee Bill who began life as Clifford Goldsby, was hanged at Ft. Smith, Ark., in 1896 at age 20." [Right photo] Bill Cook. The leader of the Cook Gang when it robbed the Frisco Railroad train at Red Fort on June 16, 1894.

 Dividing Line


Sec 1

Sec 2

Sec 3

Sec 4

Sec 5

Sec 6

Sec 7

Sec 8

Sec 9

Sec 10


 Dividing Line

Return to Photo Gallery Index

Return to Main Page


Contact: Linda Haas Davenport