Midland-Valley Railroad
Through Turley

Bob Cooper

Dividing Line

The railroads played a big part in Turley's development. In the autumn of 1871, the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (A&PRR), constructed its track west from Seneca, Missouri to Vinita, Indian Territory (Oklahoma). According to it's original charter granted by congress in 1866, the A&PRR was to construct from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco, California. However, Vinita remained the end of the track until 1882, when it constructed on west to Tulsa. By 1888, there were eight railroads in the Indian Territory.

By 1904, the Midland-Valley tracks had finished it's construction to Tulsa. The Midland-Valley then began to extended from Tulsa down into Texas, laying rails northward from Tulsa.

On 10 May 1905, the first passenger train came through Turley. At that time the tracks extended northward only to Nelagoney, Oklahoma. There were 6 schedules daily. Three going north .... three going south. Morning, Noon, and Evening.

Below is a photo of that first stop at Turley Station in 1905. It made a stop just long enough for this photo. No passengers arrived nor departed at Turley that day.

Train Depot

There are those who thought the tracks were laid from Tulsa to the north to give service to the oil industry. However, the tracks were initially laid northward for the purpose of hauling cattle up from Texas to the 'Tall Prairie' grass area. Later it did include oil.

Dividing Line

Return to History Index

Return to Home Page

"This Page Was Last Updated Wednesday, 19-Mar-2008 11:20:32 EDT"

Linda Haas Davenport